It’s Pride Month. It’s a month to celebrate acceptance, inclusivity, beauty, and love; it’s also a month to acknowledge and commemorate the enduring bravery of the LGBTQQIP2SA community through continuing struggles. Pride calls upon us to celebrate love in all its forms.
But pride, ultimately, is a reminder of the lifelong solidarity owed to those who have fought, and continue to fight, tirelessly for the right to love freely, and the right to exist.
This pride, whether you’re planning to go out to march or to party (or both!), we’d like to share some parade, festival, and party skincare tips, to keep you feeling fresh throughout the month.
During the Parade
At Pride, you’re typically outdoors for long stretches of time. If you’re thinking of attending your city’s Pride Parade, or of demonstrating either as a community member or ally, you’ll want to make sure your skin’s ready for the elements.
- SPF! This one feels like a given, but if you’re going to be outdoors, you’ll want to protect your precious skin from the sun. We suggest a strong sunscreen, 50+ with both UVA and UVB protection. We also recommend reapplying throughout the day.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. You’ll want to drink water, and your skin might be thirsty too. Make sure you pack in the barrier repair ingredients, like ceramides and hyaluronic acid, before going out. You can even pack a face mist for more moisture through the day.
- Sunglasses. You’ll want to protect your eyes, and the delicate skin around it. Consider packing a pair of sunglasses when you go out.
- Antioxidant care. If you’ll be in the sun for hours, make sure you incorporate antioxidants into your routine to protect your skin from free radicals.
After the Parade
For the Party
If you’re going to have a kiki to celebrate after the Parade, here’s how to prep your skin for a long, fun night.
- Exfoliate. If you have somebody to impress, or if you just want to be looking your best self, pick a gentle exfoliator containing acids or enzymes to reveal the glow-from within.
- Peptide prep. Use peptides for a refreshed, smooth appearance, and to prep for that gorgeous face beat.
- Repair ingredients. You’ll want to make sure your barrier is ready to handle anything, just like you are. Opt for ingredients that repair and protect your fragile skin barrier, especially if you’re partying through the night.
- Again, hydrate. Not to sound like a broken record, but water is life. Hydrate both your skin and yourself. Load up with humectants and emollients. Take little breaks from dancing to re-hydrate! Your skin will thank you in the morning.
- Cleanse after you party. Wash off all the makeup, sweat, and impurities after a big night out. We know cleansing can be tedious. But it’s essential.
Pride Self Care
Pride is also all about self love. Sometimes that’s what you need. For a luxurious self love night, consider these skincare.
- Face masks and exfoliation. Depending on what your skin goals are, opt either for a super repairing, hydration mask packed with moisturizing ingredients, or a glowy, exfoliating mask, or gentle exfoliation to deal with congestion and unevenness.
- Hair masks or oiling. If you want to pamper yourself, get a hair mask, or your preferred hair oil. Comb it through gently and wrap a towel around your hair to keep the warmth in. You can even give yourself a scalp massage for extra circulation benefits. This is a great pre-shower step for soft, luscious hair.
- Have a bath or shower. A long, hot soak often hits the spot. If you have access to a tub, sprinkle in some epsom salts of treat yourself with a bath bomb in your favourite colour.
- Spend time with your chosen family. Community building can be an essential part of self care. Gather your closest friends together and remind yourself of how powerful it is to stand in solidarity with your dear ones. Pride starts with you, and with the love you hold.
Regardless how you’re celebrating Pride, we at Sachi Skin want to wish you every joy this month as we celebrate love and the power of community.